Sunday 9 May 2010

Why BattleScribe?

Hi my name is Jon and I'm a wargamer.

I'm mainly a 40k player, with a love for Necromunda, who dabbles in D&D. My love for the Imperial Guard goes back some 15 years (at the time of writing) and can be officially classified as "unhealthy". Space Wolves and themed Chaos Space Marine armies pepper my past. They just don't have quite enough tanks to keep me interested however...

I live in Canterbury, UK, and I'm a software developer. My preferred programming language is Java since I'm a bit of a software hippie who believes in freeware and open source software.

I enjoy writing up armies, experimenting with hypothetical lists and figuring out what I need to buy to make up that next 500pts. I've used my PC to write up and store a vast array of army lists for different armies and configurations over the years. This has gotten a bit out of hand, and now I've ended up with a folder full of documents containing armies from long out of date Codexes. These are a pain to maintain since I have to manually format the documents and get the calculator out when I'm making changes.

I'm aware of a few bits of software out there that provide a point and click interface for building  army lists. I've tried a few of them but haven't really found anything that suits my needs. Being the pedantic type that I am, I wanted something that could indicate exactly what my army consists of, down to the precise model. I wanted a clean interface that matches my operating system's look and feel, with no garish skins. Output to HTML for pasting into websites, blog posts and forum posts was a must have. I also didn't want to pay.

So I resigned to make my own editor that can do what I want it to do, as a gamer. As I'm a bit of a geek, it also seemed like a fun project to take on. And here it is - after a year of hacking away in my sparse free time, BattleScribe is done. It's in beta and not perfect yet - there are a few rough edges and bugs in there - but it's pretty much feature complete and ready to be used.


I'm keen to get suggestions and feedback from the community to guide the ongoing development of BattleScribe - you can suggest features, report bugs, or just let me know what you think over at the feedback page.

BattleScribe is built by a wargamer, for wargamers. You'll never have to pay for it, and you can freely distribute it however you see fit. Head over to www.battlescribe.net to download it and give it a go.