Monday 4 April 2011

BattleScribe Mobile 1.10.00b Released on Android!

The day is finally here, BattleScribe Mobile for Android has arrived! I'm pretty excited to finally get this out. It's my first Android app and it's taken quite a bit of time and effort to learn the ropes and get it finished.

The BattleScribe Mobile allows you to create and edit your army lists on the move. It is of course fully compatible with your existing data files and rosters, so you can just put them on your SD card and open them up. It has (almost) all the features you get in the desktop version of Roster Editor.
  • Create rosters using your existing data files, load your existing rosters
  • Navigate and edit your roster in a way that should be familiar to users of BattleScribe
  • Points total of your roster and individual selections is clearly shown
  • Show a list of problems with your roster and jump to the offending selections
  • View your roster in a nice readable format, with profile and rule summaries
  • Copy your roster as HTML or text for pasting into documents/blogs/websites/forums etc
  • Saves/loads your data from the SD card, making it easy to transfer your existing files over
  • Import function for data files
  • Requires Android 2.2 (Froyo), ad supported

A couple of small issues to watch out for:
  • It can take a while (up to 30 seconds even) to load data files when creating a roster - especially if they're big files. These files can get quite complex and it takes quite a bit of processing to load them. I'll be looking to see if I can improve these load times in future.
  • I have noticed that after you import a datafile, it sometimes does not show up in the dropdowns on the "New Roster" screen. If this happens, a restart of BattleScribe should make them appear. I'm working to fix this now. Update: This is now fixed in v1.10.01b
  • No Catalogue or Game System Editors. The idea of modifying data files on a phone did not sound fun, though if there is demand I will go ahead and add them.
It's the first release, so I'm sure something has slipped through the net. If you find any problems, or have a feature request, please post it on the UserVoice page remembering to include your phone make/model and your version of Android. I will be keeping a close eye on this over the next few weeks, so expect multiple small updates to resolve any issues people find. There's still a way to go!

Go to BattleScribe Mobile on the Android Market

Now, please excuse me as I take the rest of the night off and crack open a bottle of whisky to celebrate. I feel I deserve it ;)